With rhetorical flourishes of a mentally challenged 4-year-old, Donald Trump has just screwed the planet by withdrawing from the Paris Climate Accord.
The agreement, joined by the United States and President Obama, would among other things cap temperature increases to 1.5 °C above pre-industrial amounts.
Through his decision to abandon the accord Trump has triggered the Paris exit process, which will culminate the day after election day 2020.
If ever there was a clarion call for voter action, this is it.
Trump may have made this announcement a big deal for his rabid InfoWars base voters, but this isn’t the end of the story. We as citizens can work to ensure we stay pointed in the right direction until adults return to lead the country.
- Our U.S.-based multinational corporations MUST act on climate—and lobby for, not against, sustainable-energy policy. Some of them are already committed to it. “The private sector has already chosen a low-carbon future,” former President Obama said in a statement.
- As consumers, we can act with our wallets. If companies don’t show definitive action, we will not give them our business. Many power companies are monopolies, but you can disrupt that system by using home solar and purchasing carbon offsets.
- Our cities and states must act unilaterally—and, as often as possible, in tandem—to reduce carbon emissions and encourage green jobs creation.
- As a consumer, you can support green non-profits that have been working tirelessly to educate on climate and lobby for changes at all levels.
- Make Climate Action a top-tier disqualifier for politicians. Candidates like Jon Ossoff have been outspoken about the need to invest in green jobs—and he’s running in a fairly conservative Georgia district.
Former president Barack Obama has issued a statement condemning Trump’s decision, insisting that America is already leading the way and will continue to. “Even in the absence of American leadership; even as this Administration joins a small handful of nations that reject the future; I’m confident that our states, cities, and businesses will step up and do even more to lead the way, and help protect for future generations the one planet we’ve got.” 🔵
I’ll update with more tweets as the hours and days go by.
Make sure to comment often—cranky loves company. As a wholly independent news source, CrankyYank depends on your subscriptions, shares, comments and likes. If you’re enjoying CY, please consider telling a friend.
Support independent authors, writers, artists, journalists, reporters and professionals. Buy a book, leave a review, start a discussion. Thank a reporter if you like a story you see or read. Our success as a nation depends on your engagement and involvement at every level.
I’ve largely set aside my book promotion on Twitter to focus on crimes committed by the Trump administration. There are many other bloggers, pundits and journalists doing the same; make sure to support them at every turn.