Apartheid: white minority suppression of a non-white majority
[this post has updates below] I’ve written extensively in this space (here here and here) about Donald Trump and his cretins’ cartoonishly illegal behavior. But this post is about something broader and more significant: Republicans in America have been for decades—and are to present day—building a modern version of Apartheid eerily reminiscent of South Africa.
Evidence for this thesis is widespread and out in the open:
– Voter intimidation is Apartheid
– Voter suppression is Apartheid
– Election “integrity” is Apartheid
– Funding right-wing fundamentalists is Apartheid
– Jamming through illegitimate SCOTUS judges is Apartheid
– Attacking reproductive freedom is Apartheid
– Perversion of America’s highest court is Apartheid
– Exploding norms and procedures in the Senate is Apartheid
– Voter disenfranchisement is Apartheid
– Voter purges are Apartheid
– Voter ID is Apartheid
– Lying about reasoning behind Voter ID is Apartheid
– Election fraud is Apartheid
– State media is Apartheid
– Propaganda is Apartheid
– Billionaire manipulation of U.S. politics is Apartheid (Koch)
– Billionaire manipulation of U.S. politics is Apartheid (Thiel)
– Billionaire manipulation of U.S. politics is Apartheid (Mercers)
– Billionaire manipulation of U.S. politics is Apartheid (Friess)
– Billionaire manipulation of U.S. politics is Apartheid (Boone Pickens)
– Weaponizing philanthropy is Apartheid
– Disproportional violence against unarmed people of color is Apartheid
– Demonizing food-stamp recipients is Apartheid
– Embracing white supremacy is Apartheid
– Inviting white supremacists to press gaggles is Apartheid
– Personal profiteering by government officials is Apartheid
– Migrant-children jails are Apartheid
– State-sponsored torture is Apartheid
– Powerful leaders’ silence in the face of injustice is Apartheid
– Tear gassing immigrants fleeing violence is Apartheid
– Lying about immigration policy is Apartheid
– Psychographic profiling is modern Apartheid
– LGBTQ+ marginalization is Apartheid
– Relying on support from a reconstituted Soviet Union is Apartheid
– Disinformation is Apartheid
– Gaslighting is Apartheid
– Installing a sycophantic attorney general as personal defense attorney is Apartheid
– Extra-judicial murder is Apartheid
– Threatening extra-judicial murder is Apartheid
– Creating two distinct legal systems for whites and people of color is Apartheid
– Right-wing radicals pushing for Constitutional Convention is Apartheid
– Anti-science racists masquerading as “thought leaders” is Apartheid
– Forcing polluted/toxic water on communities of color is Apartheid
– No criminal consequences for diverting tainted water to Flint, Mich. is Apartheid
– Threatening communities of color with weaponized law enforcement is Apartheid
– Targeted hate-crimes and selective enforcement is Apartheid
– Officials getting chummy with hate-crime perpetrators is Apartheid
– Allowing COVID19 to ravage communities of color unchecked is Apartheid
– Weaponizing voting infrastructure to hurt communities-of-color is Apartheid
On the left is Piedmont Park, a Democratic stronghold with a 4-hour line to vote.
On the right is Chastain Park, located in Atlanta’s whitest and most conservative precinct. There is literally no line.
— Brent Peabody (@brent_peabody) June 9, 2020
2 weeks ago the President promised me demographic data to better understand how this virus is disproportionately impacting communities of color.
2 weeks later, we still don’t have the data we need to address disparities.
Where's the data?https://t.co/ct1UeQ1W7s
— Amy Klobuchar (@amyklobuchar) May 2, 2020
Water is a issue as well.
— jonn mccly (@JMccly) November 29, 2019
— A Random Scientist #AbortionIsHealthcare (@Random_Neuro123) February 26, 2017
– what’d I miss? add yours in the comments below.
When Apartheid fell in South Africa, many external factors were at play—fall of Berlin Wall and crumbling of Soviet Union among them. But mostly it collapsed under the weight of its own injustice; no person or people can be oppressed for that long without consequences. 🔵
UPDATE: my high-school pal and (white) South African national had this reaction in a Facebook comment:
Police brutality, a militarized police force, arrest without access to legal representation (90 day rule) are apartheid. But also, very importantly: white privilege, white fragility, white supremacist social logic, white control of state, economy, religion, education, whiteness as the assumed apex of society too! Oh and arrogant, despotic egomaniacs in power (though that one applies to the current ANC government in SA too! Less about race and more about the intersections of patriarchy and capitalism).
Apartheid also collapsed when their God-MONEY-was taken away through boycotts that we forced American companies and universities to do. https://t.co/82t410J3O7
— LiberalPhenom (Pfizer Girl) 💃🏾 (@LiberalPhenom) May 31, 2020
UPDATE 2 (31 May 2020): VERY astute Twitter user LiberalPhenom pointed out that cutting off funds to a broken system—in this case, Apartheid in South Africa—helped hasten its demise. Since GOP is trying to emulate Apartheid in America with great success we should look at ways to deprive the system of its funding. If Billionaire class supporting open warfare in America was sued out of existence—some of which have broken federal law—we’d at least have a more level playing field.
Will Pollock is a perpetually crabby New York City escapee based in Midtown Atlanta. He’s a freelance multimedia journalist, media analyst and author of two books (the award-wining Pizza for Good & Leaving Triscuit), with more on the way.
In 2001, Will earned his Masters from The Medill School of Journalism, graduating with highest honors from the magazine sequence. As permanent member of Journalism’s National Honors Society, he’s been active in monitoring, writing and blogging about media and journalism ever since he graduated.
Obsessed with good storytelling and journalistic excellence, Will uses snark, humor and reason to distill dumb shit and make it fun. He is a seeker/maker of non-consensus news, and cures his crankies by finding the nut in every story.
As for-profit media continues to fail us, it’s more important than ever to find reliable sources. Authentic storytelling exists—you just have to look for it. On this blog you’ll get ideas, not ideology. Sass with class. Reporting with rapport. Evidence with a touch of evil. You get the idea.
Support independent authors, writers, artists, journalists and professionals. Buy a book, leave a review, start a discussion. Show solidarity so that we can achieve greater balance and, in the end, learn more.